Ministry says 3,000 industrial units damaged in 40-day war
About 3,000 small, medium and large industrial units in Iran were damaged during the 40-day US-Israeli war, which began in late February, though the final scale of losses has yet to be determined as assessments and self-reporting by companies continue, Industry Ministry spokesperson Ezzatollah Zarei said.
"A fund under the Ministry of Industry, Mine and Trade has been designated as a war damage compensation fund to accelerate support and compensation payments to affected units," Zarei said, according to Tasnim news agency.
He said a headquarters for the reconstruction of major industries had been established, with companies including Mobarakeh Steel and Khuzestan Steel prioritized for a rapid return to production because of their broad impact on the market.
The two industrial complexes were hit several times in April during the enemy strikes.
"The ministry's main priority is preserving production and employment," Zarei said, adding that the ministry was working to prevent production stoppages by securing raw materials, facilitating imports and supporting supply chains.
He said the war had negatively affected supply chains and made imports of raw materials more difficult than before.
"A total of 2,570 goods needed for production have been prioritized for import so industrial units can secure the raw materials they need," he said.
Tehran telecom losses estimated at $11.4b
In a separate report carried by ISNA, Tehran Telecommunications Director General Alireza Lotfi said serious damage had been inflicted on equipment at two telecommunications centers in Tehran Province during the war, with losses to the province's telecommunications infrastructure estimated at 2 trillion tomans, equivalent to about $11.4 million.
Speaking at a press conference on Saturday marking World Telecommunication and Information Society Day, Lotfi said the level of damage in Tehran Province caused major problems at two centers and severely damaged telecommunications equipment.
He said fiber-optic-connected sections had been quickly replaced, but around 7,000 failures remained at damaged centers and broader repairs were still needed. Authorities were working to restore local services affecting 30,000 subscribers as quickly as possible.
The "Montazeri" telecommunications center in Rey city and the "Mohsenian" center in Tehran's Shadabad district, serving more than 70,000 subscribers, suffered the heaviest damage during the war, he said.
Lotfi said the Montazeri center had been completely destroyed and required a full overhaul, adding that 18,000 failures had been registered, of which 7,000 had so far been repaired.
