Iran: New US sanctions amount to ‘economic terrorism’

China says US ‘sanctions, pressure’ on Iran not a solution

 
Iran’s Foreign Ministry strongly condemned a new round of US economic sanctions against the country, stating that the measures amount to “economic terrorism” and “crimes against humanity.”
In a statement issued on Thursday, the ministry said the new sanctions, announced by the US government on the anniversary of the 1953 coup in Iran, demonstrate the continuation of decades of hostility toward the Iranian people.
“The new US sanctions are not only another indication of the continuation of 73 years of hostility by US policymakers toward the Iranian people, but also demonstrate the anti-human, lawless and hegemonic nature of the US government,” the statement said.
On Wednesday, US President Donald Trump announced what he called the “most crushing economic operation” against Iran, claiming that Tehran would face “economic warfare and isolation on an unprecedented scale”. He also threatened sanctions against any country that does business with Iran.
US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, who had previously teased new economic sanctions against Iran, said he would share more details about these measures next week.
“It is a one-two punch. We have the [naval] blockade, and we are going to have the toughest sanctions in history,” the secretary told CNBC on Thursday.
The threat comes as the war on Iran, launched alongside the Israeli regime on February 28, has failed to reach any of its objectives.
The Iranian Foreign Ministry said the sanctions target the fundamental rights of Iranian citizens and slammed Washington for violating international norms.
“Without a doubt, the US economic sanctions against Iran, which target the fundamental human rights of every Iranian citizen, constitute ‘economic terrorism’ and ‘crimes against humanity,’” it said, adding that those responsible should face prosecution and punishment.
It also called on countries committed to the principles of the UN Charter, including respect for national sovereignty, not to remain indifferent to continued US violations of fundamental international norms.
Meanwhile, Mohammed Baqer Qalibaf, the speaker of Iran’s Parliament, pushed back Friday against “unjust” US economic sanctions.
“We must plan for the unjust sanctions so that we can overcome them,” Qalibaf told a group of economic representatives in Baghdad, according to a message shared on Telegram.
 
Sanctions won’t resolve tensions
China said on Friday that US “sanctions and pressure” would not resolve tensions in the Middle East, after Washington urged governments including Beijing to join efforts to isolate the Iranian economy.
“China calls on all relevant parties to take responsible measures and resolve the problem through political and diplomatic means,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lin Jian told reporters on Friday.
US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent has defended Trump’s push for economic pressure on Tehran.
When asked whether the United States would pressure China to join the campaign, Bessent told CNBC that “many conversations are best to have in private", but called on Beijing “to get with the program".
Spokesman Lin reiterated the need for all parties to take “responsible measures” in resolving the war, when he was asked about Bessent’s comments.
“China opposes illegal unilateral sanctions that have no basis in international law and are not authorized by the UN Security Council,” Lin said.China is Iran’s largest trading partner
Search
Date archive