Iran declares French diplomats persona non grata over illegal activities

 
Iran’s Foreign Ministry declared two French diplomats working at the French Embassy in Tehran persona non grata over activities deemed contrary to international law and the 1961 Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations.
In a statement on Tuesday night, the ministry’s Public Relations Office said the two French officials engaged in activities violating international law, particularly the provisions of the 1961 Vienna Convention.
The statement said that despite several weeks having passed since their unlawful conduct was exposed, no action has been taken by the French government to rectify their behavior or provide assurances that such conduct would not be repeated.
“Therefore, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs recognizes these two officials as persona non grata, and their entry into Iran will henceforth be prohibited,” the statement said.
In July 2026, the two French diplomats were briefly detained in Tehran after they were found at a meeting linked to a security investigation.
France accused Iranian security forces of mistreating the diplomats, while Tehran rejected the allegations and said they had been questioned over “unconventional” conduct.
Iran’s Ministry of Intelligence said the two diplomats had “extensive records of violations and conduct contrary to domestic laws and diplomatic obligations.” After their identities were verified, the matter was reported to the Foreign Ministry, and the diplomats were handed over to Iran’s ambassador to France in the presence of diplomatic police, it said.
The ministry further said France subsequently launched a media campaign aimed at deflecting attention from the violations, saying an initial examination of documents found at the site revealed a project involving foreign infiltration and interference.
French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot said on Tuesday that Paris will expel two Iranian diplomats posted in France in retaliation for Iran’s move.
Search
Date archive