Copy in clipboard...
Qalibaf: Islamabad MoU document for consolidating Iran’s victory in diplomatic front
Iran’s Parliament Speaker described a memorandum of understanding between Iran and the United States as a “document of honor and victory” aimed at consolidating Iran’s success on the diplomatic front, saying Washington and Israel failed to achieve any of their objectives in the war.
“In one of my interviews during the war, I said that I did not mean that we had destroyed the US army and the Zionist regime. Rather, I meant that the United States and Israel attacked us with nine specific goals that were officially announced and documented, but they did not achieve any of their objectives at any level. This was the greatest defeat for the United States and the Zionist regime and a great victory for us,” Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf said.
Speaking at a meeting with a group of journalists on Saturday, Qalibaf said Iran is now engaged in an “unjust war” led by the United States and Israel.
Iran’s top parliamentarian said Iran “truly” won the war “militarily and politically”.
Referring to the Pakistan-mediated Memorandum of Understanding reached between Tehran and Washington to end the US-Israeli aggression against Iran, Qalibaf said the agreement represented a “document of honor and victory” in line with consolidating the country’s success in diplomacy.
He said the achievements on the military and diplomatic fronts had been made possible by the Iranian people, who had taken to the streets from the first day of the war to support the Islamic Republic of Iran and defend the country’s territory and revolution.
Iran and the US signed the 14-point memorandum of understanding in June to end the cycle arising from the latest bout of unprovoked American-Israeli aggression against Iran, which had begun on February 28.
They set a 60-day period to discuss further issues including sanctions imposed on Iran as well as the country’s nuclear program in order to reach a comprehensive agreement between the two countries.
However, the United States’ violation of the agreement from its very first days has effectively rendered the deal invalid.
The two sides have stopped negotiations with the Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi saying on Saturday that Tehran is still undecided about resuming talks with the US amid disagreements about ceasefire violations and the future of the Strait of Hormuz.
Araghchi said on August 10 that Iran will not engage in new negotiations with the US as long as it keeps violating the MoU.
