IRGC warns repeat of aggression spurs war ‘far beyond region’
Trump’s ‘big hit’ rant to be met with Iran’s ‘many more surprises’
The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) warned on Wednesday that the war with Iran would spread far beyond the region if the United States and Israel resume their aggression against Iran after the US president threatened to strike again unless a deal is reached.
A ceasefire on April 8 brought a halt to the conflict, which has roiled the global economy, but with Washington and Tehran seemingly reluctant to resume the fighting a war of words has taken its place.
US President Donald Trump has repeatedly threatened Tehran with renewed military action, while Iranian officials have hit back with their own warnings of devastating action.
Nevertheless, despite sporadic outbursts of violence, the two countries have continued to take part in diplomatic exchanges, mediated by Pakistan, aimed at bringing a formal end to the war.
“If the aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will this time spread far beyond the region, and our devastating blows will crush you,” the IRGC said in a statement.
"The American-Zionist enemy... must know that despite the offensive carried out against us using the full capabilities of the world's two most expensive armies, we have not deployed the full power of the Islamic revolution," the IRGC added.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi also warned earlier on Wednesday that any return to war with Iran would bring “many more surprises.”
‘US seeking to restart war’
Iran's Parliament Speaker and chief negotiator Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf on Wednesday said the US was seeking to restart the war and hoping the Islamic republic would surrender.
"The enemy's movements, both overt and clandestine, show that despite economic and political pressure, it has not abandoned its military objectives and is seeking to start a new war," Qalibaf said in an audio message on his official website.
He said Iran’s military forces have utilized the ceasefire to strengthen their capabilities, warning the enemies that the armed forces are in such a readiness that will certainly make them regret any renewed aggression against Iran.
On Tuesday, Trump claimed that the US retained the upper hand and that Iran was desperate for peace.
"I hope we don't have to do the war, but we may have to give them another big hit. I'm not sure yet."
He has previously made similar claims without a deal being concluded.
The US president is himself under pressure, with rising energy costs beginning to bite at home.
While the ceasefire brought a halt to the fighting, it has not reopened the vital Strait of Hormuz, through which a fifth of the world's oil and liquefied natural gas usually pass.
The future of the waterway is a key sticking point in negotiations, but without a deal fears are growing for the global economy as pre-war stockpiles of oil are used up.
Rising fuel prices have caused widespread pain, with protests erupting even in Kenya, which like many African countries is dependent on imports from the Persian Gulf and where the public transport system has ground to a halt.
