One of the oldest in Iran, the bridge was built over the Karun River to facilitate passage between the two parts of the city.
The White Bridge, with a height of 13 meters above the river, is 501m long and 9.8m wide, chtn.ir reported.
At first glance what attracts everyone’s attention is the white color of the bridge.
Ahvaz is divided into two sections: the eastern part, hosting the most number of factories and offices affiliated with the oil and steel industry, and the western part, comprising the city’s residential districts. The White Bridge connects these two parts to one another.
In the past, light vehicles, people and cattle passed over the White Bridge, which is presently a one-way passage used by pedestrians and vehicles. It is also ranked eighth on the list of the largest suspension bridges in the Middle East.
The bridge was built by a German engineer and his wife in the early 1900s. The engineer died after raising one of the two arches of the bridge; his wife completed the project in 1937.
The bridge was renovated in 2011, when light fixtures were added to it, and was registered as a National Heritage Site in the year 2000.